Gianluigi Buffon International - Juventusworld 1897

This Board is dedicated to Gianluigi Buffon, the best Goalkeeper in the World, to his Club Juventus Turin and also to the Italian National Team
It is currently 19. Jun 2018, 01:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Il Capitano

NEWSNeto: I Can Replace Gianluigi Buffon at Juventus

FollowersFollowers: 0
BookmarksBookmarks: 0
Views: 152

7. Feb 2016, 03:10

Post subject: Neto: I Can Replace Gianluigi Buffon at Juventus
#1PostPosted: 7. Feb 2016, 03:10 
Juventus back-up goalkeeper Neto has revealed that he believes he is ready to step up to the plate and replace goalkeeping legend Gianluigi Buffon as the club's number one stopper.

Neto, 26, was signed from Fiorentina in the summer on a free transfer and has only really been used sparingly, with just one Serie A appearance and three run-outs in the Coppa Italia so far this season.

38-year-old Buffon will go down as one of the best goalkeepers to ever play the sport when he does retire, which he admitted himself will almost certainly be after the 2018 World Cup - should Italy qualify, of course.

However, speaking to ​Goal.com, Brazilian stopper Neto believes that he is ready to fill in between the sticks for Juventus, has learnt a lot from Buffon and was always prepared to be an understudy when he signed for the club in the summer.

“It's what I came here for,” he said. “I came to Juventus to be part of the group, it's one of the five, ten greatest clubs in the world. It's the coach's decision as to whether I play or not, but I'm always ready.

“I have a good relationship with Gigi, everyone knows he's a great professional and a wonderful person.

"To be able to learn from him day after day is a massive advantage to my growth as an athlete.”

Neto also offered his take on Juventus' peculiar slow start to the season, after the club won just three out of their first 10 Serie A matches - however, they have now won their last 12 in the competition, and Neto believes that the club needed to adapt with the summer upheaval.

“It wasn't easy, but that's normal," Neto stated. “Players were arriving at the club after others had left so we needed time to adapt.

"When it clicked, though, everyone understood what the coach [Massimiliano Allegri] was asking for. That was when we started this run of form. Now we're playing how we should be.”

go to top Top